Monday, December 27, 2010

Vacant Board Position

At the December board meeting, the board was once again unable to make a decision regarding the vacant board position. At the November meeting, the vote had split 3-3 between Preston Baxter and Steve Moser. Prior to the December meeting, rumors began circulating that Sarah Ramirez intended to change her vote from Preston to Steve and that her stated reason for doing so was that she had concluded that Preston and his wife did not support teachers. Preston addressed these rumors when given the opportunity at the meeting (See Part 6 of the video posted on 12/12 below). When it came time to vote, everyone voted as they had in November but Sarah abstained. Since the board needs four votes (a majority of a seven person board) to make an appointment, the position will remain vacant until school board elections this spring. To give credit, several board members (but not Sarah) had the good manners to apologize to Preston and Rory Baxter for the unpleasantness they had endured simply because Preston had applied for the vacant board position.

Preston has decided to run for the position in May and has started a Facebook page ("Preston Baxter for Central 13J School Board") to introduce himself to the community. I would encourage you to take a look - I'm sure he'll be adding more as time goes on.

As the election approaches, I'm hoping to put together a public forum for board candidates. It would be great to have some real dialog about the issues we are confronting. I'm also hoping that others will consider running for the three positions that will be decided this spring. We need to get beyond the notion that running against an incumbent is an insult to them. If any one's feelings are that easily hurt, they should probably stay out of the public arena. We need real candidates who will stand up and make the case that they should represent us. The all too frequent uncontested "non-races" we have had in the past have not served us very well. I would like to see several candidates for each position and I would like to see them actually campaign. If education is important, it's worth fighting for.

For now, we can probably expect more deadlock on the board. Given the current state of affairs, that may not be an entirely bad thing. I'm very glad to see that board members no longer fall into lock step with one another and even have debates and real differences of opinion. Nor do they just "go along to get along." When I first joined the board back in 2006, board members often behaved like rubber-stamp robots rather than thinking, questioning leaders. We've come a long way, although there is still much room for improvement.

We've begun the process of revitalizing our local democracy; let's keep that process moving forward.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the "plug." My story that brought met to application for a school board position is a long one, and I am sharing that in pieces on the Facebook page. Hopefully it will give folks some insight into the reasons for my decision and what I hope to see in the future. Most importantly it's open for anyone to offer comments or suggestions.

    I'd also like to say that Sarah Ramirez called me the morning following the last board meeting to apologize for what my family went through during the weeks leading up to the vote, and encouraged me to officially enter the race next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that Sarah did take the high road and apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I missed an article somewhere, but can I ask what happened? What did your family go through? I feel like maybe that should be a bigger story than it is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I just haven't gotten to that part over on the Facebook page. One rumor that got started was that someone was going to change their vote because my wife "doesn't support or appreciate the teachers in our district and that would impact my performance on the Board." That tidbit was communicated to her by more than one person. I only got through part of my written rebuttal to that one during the Board meeting.

    The other rumor was that a vote would change based on an interview conducted by that board member of both myself and Mr. Moser. Again, if that hadn't been communicated to me by multiple sources who would know, I might have dismissed that as well.

    I actually had a lot of POSITIVE stuff I wanted to share, but my time was limited. I submitted my notes and was told they would be shared with the Board members; I will be posting them to my FB page soon.

    ReplyDelete