Sunday, September 26, 2010

Opening on School Board

Betty Plude has resigned from the School Board effective immediately. Over the years she has given her time very generously to our schools, to the Independence Public Library, to the School Board, and in her writing workshops. We are very fortunate to have her as a neighbor and community member. Betty is a lovely person who truly cares about our kids. She was too nice to be a School Board member and I think the stress wore her down.

Our current superintendent is, in my opinion, a skilled manipulator. To be effective, Board members need to be a bit cynical. They need to be willing to ask difficult questions, to demand full and complete answers, and to fight through the obfuscation and half-truths. There's no need for outright belligerence but now is not the time to play nice. We need someone who will represent US.

I'm hoping we have some individuals out there who are willing to take on this difficult challenge and apply for the vacant spot. The Board will be appointing someone to serve the remainder of Betty's term which expires next June. Whoever is selected will have to run for election in May if they wish to remain on the Board. The applicant (and later candidate) must reside in Zone 1, which is all of Independence north of Monmouth Avenue within the city limits. Their letter of application must be received at the district office by 4:30 pm on October 8. Although it hasn't been announced, I'm assuming the Board will make their selection known at the November School Board meeting.

Now one of the things I've heard recently is that they have already decided that Steve Moser will serve out Betty's term. If so, they have violated the open meetings law that requires that all such deliberations take place in public. It certainly seemed to many of us at the high school dedication ceremony that Hunter was setting Steve up to be Betty's successor (it was already known that she did not intend to seek re-election) by making it seem as if he had single-handedly gotten the bond passed for us. He did work on the bond campaign, and deserves our thanks, but there were plenty of other people who worked just as hard. Why Steve? Well he has already spoken publicly on several occasions about what a great job he thinks Hunter and Maloney have been doing. I'm sure Hunter would love to have him on the Board! But here's the thing - the Board is supposed to represent the public, not the superintendent.

If you know someone who would make a good Board member, encourage them to apply. It may all be for naught if the Board has decided to appoint a "yes man" for Hunter but we will get to decide for ourselves next May.

12 comments:

  1. Where have you "heard" that Steve Mozer will be the replacement. If you are going to make such allegations, you need to cite your sources. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry but some sources must remain anonymous. All I've heard is the rumor - I am not alleging it to be fact. I think my commets make that clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended a board meeting last spring where Steve Moser addressed the crowd after public input had been allowed. I felt like I was being "lectured" by Mr Moser. It was obvious last spring that he was 100% in Mr Hunter's and Mr. Maloney's court. Our community needs board members that represent the Monmouth/Independence and are willing to listen our concerns. The last thing this community needs is another board member that believes Joseph Hunter is a great leader and a great communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KS you rock! Turning up the heat is just what's needed now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a fact that I heard the rumor and that it came from a credible source. There is no way I am going to start divulging confidential sources given the level of fear that currently exists in the district. I notice, by the way, that your comment was left anonymously. Time will tell whether this particular rumor is true or not. In the meantime, those of us opposed to the current regime need to start organizing for change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Moser family very much. Steve & Liane and their children have served in many ways in our community and have been a vital part of wonderful things that have happened in our here.
    However, there are several people currently on the board who are nice people, but not strong enough to stand up for all the wrongs that have been and do continue to happen. People that I voted for, hoping they would make positive changes, and have been so sad to see that has not happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am seriously considering putting in a letter for the board position...I am concerned though that I will not be heard any more than Kathleen was when she fought tooth and nail for right. When it is 1 against everyone else, esp those in Hunter's right back pocket and payroll, it is hard to make good things happen. I am no cut-throat by any means, but I wonder if by being part of the board I could make the difference I don't by sitting in that hot seat month after month...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do agree with Kathleen that credible, confidential sources of information must be kept quiet for now.
    With teachers currently working without a contract (another "rumor" that is being kept from the community, that is fact)and seeing the reactions and talking with teachers and staff in different situations, I have seen and heard for myself many things that come from every level of school staff. They are terrified to do or say anything outright, even though they should be protected by law to have the right to do so, it is their lives and livelyhood that is on the line. A person in our local community is trying to be sued by Hunter for doing the same in a board meeting - where it is our right to speak out against wrong. He is a citizen, can you imagine what Hunter would do to a staff member?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a current teacher and would like to add to the argument for not disclosing the names of specific sources. I agree that under normal, healthy circumstances, citations to verify credibility are key. Yet our district is under a veil of fear and discrmination by our superintendent. This is an unhealthy environment and while professionalism should never be evaded, neither should the truth. If I didn't have a strong union to protect me, I would have witnessed the other side of Dr. Hunter, a side that our building administrators have seen and work to shield their teachers from. Most community members are very unaware of specific ocurrences of manupulation and sometimes distortion of facts made by our superintendent. How did we end the bond under budget when we were told that "they ran out of money" for certain items we had planned on receiving? Some of the remodeled classrooms still have old carpet. We've lost two top school administrators within 3 years and from sources I cannot reveal I know that they left due to the difficult work environment created by our superintendent. They were hard working, student-dedicated professionals whom many of us miss.
    I would like to teach in a healthy district where we can be open and honest with one another and not need to leave anonymous blogs to express our true feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a past candidate for the board I can attest that it will not be easy for any candidate that goes against the grain of this school board and superintendant. I learned early in my campaign to run for the board that there would be a concerted effort to keep me out and I opted not to be tarnished by the Hunter regime. There will need to be a strong effort to put a candidate in place that the board will appoint. The community needs to find a willing candidate and stand up in front of this school board and insist the board appoint their nominee. I think Steve has a strong heart for community service, but if he has been working a back room deal with Hunter, then I would encourage the community to stop his nomination cold. The 13j board definitely needs a stronger voice than those that currently reside on the Board when it comes to control of the District. It is quite clear that Mr. Hunter has pirated this ship and has no intention of relinquishing the helm anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathleen is not the only person to hear the rumor that Joseph Hunter wants Steve Moser as the replacement for Betty. The rumor has been out there for several weeks before Kathleen ever posted it. I agree with Craig that Steve has a strong heart for community service, however his heart will be broken once he realizes the intentions of the Superintendent are not in the interest of children or the district but for power.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with many of the comments about Steve Moser. He and his family are great community people who give of their time to many organizations. It is for this reason that I hope he does not pursue a position on the school board. Anyone closely associated with Dr. Hunter could get hurt in the inevitable fall-out coming down the road. I know that Steve cares greatly for our district students and I fear for how his life and family could get caught in the middle of an increasingly public battle. Tell Steve to not be fooled by smiles, handshakes, and big city talk. After all, we are too provincial to understand what it means when the sheeps clothing begins to fall off the wolf.

    ReplyDelete